Wednesday, May 6, 2009

...And Miles to Go Before I Sleep

Thus ends one of my favorite poems by Robert Frost, "Stopping by Woods On a Snowing Evening" (for the complete poem, click here). The journey is far from over, but it doesn't mean that you can enjoy it along the way. The day count stands at 22 and the savings stand at $120.97. That's impressive for me. With only eight days to go to the culmination of the challenge, it is known that there is still lots of uneaten food out there because the pantry is still relatively full, there is a pound of hamburger in the freezer still (used for making a batch of homemade chili-mac), and a habit is being deeply ingrained in the psyche. What a wonderful feeling!

I will have to admit that I am in the midst of writing an eBook about eliminating credit card debt. I have been working at it for a while, and it is starting to solidify: more and more each and every day. One chapter of it (so far) deals with what we have been discussing here. A way is being found to free up more money and thus pay down the debt and work toward a lifestyle of being debt-free. One way of generating extra money is to get a part-time job. More companies are willing to hire part-time workers because they don't have to pay benefits. That's fine. You don't have to have a "glamour" job, in fact, most second jobs that I have had would not be classified as glamorous. There have been temp jobs on third shift assembly lines, jobs as a cashier, jobs cleaning buildings after hours, yard work, and so on.

The point is that we are talking about extra income here. A mundane job will suffice for that and will generate some extra cash. Mine generates roughly $100 a week. Sure, I miss out on a lot of television shows (who really has time for it?), but I use TIVO (a luxury) to watch my favorite shows in half the time...on my schedule. My budget includes the income from my second job and it still needs to be worked so that I will become debt free in a much more expedient manner.

What are you doing to generate extra money to pay down your debt? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment