Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Are You Getting a Tax Refund?

I read quite a bit of interesting discussion on moneyning in the last 24 hours. There seems to be two schools of thought on getting a refund: on one hand, it is your money, not the governments, so if you get a big refund from Uncle Sam each year, that equates to an interest-free loan to the government. On the other hand, some tend to use the refund as their way of saving money.

Because I have been burned by taxes in the past, I fall into the second category.

I may revisit that strategy. Because of my past, I mentally would much rather overpay on my taxes and get a refund than to owe ONE SINGLE DIME. With proper planning, I know that I can tweak my withholding so that we will get little or nothing back. Right now, that would equate to an extra $50-100 a week that could be used to pay down my remaining debt. The thing is that my wife and I have managed to set aside a decent emergency fund, but it isn't nearly enough.

What do you think? Let me know.

Have a GREAT day!

No comments:

Post a Comment