Monday, January 11, 2010

Bite The Bullet and Do a Budget

It is a word that few like. I have found that a budget is something that I can live with now. What happened is that I grew tired of having too much month left at the end of my money and I was wondering where all the money went.

As it is said, "If you fail to plan, you plan to fail".

* First, you may have to keep a record of every single penny that you spend. Buy a soda from the vending machine at work...write it down. Send off a payment for your mortgage...write it down. Give a dollar to a man on the street who is asking for donations...write it down. After a month of writing it down, categorize everything (meals, fuel, car payment, entertainment, etc.).

* Make a trial budget. After looking at your numbers, decide what you really need to spend. The key is to have every dollar accounted for that you are bringing in. This will take a few months for you to fine-tune your budget.

* Stick to it. Some things will not change, like your car payment. Some you have a little more control over, like food.

* Find ways that you are spending needlessly. This is imperative so that you can pay down your credit card debt.

If you need more money, try taking a second job, it doesn't have to be in your area of expertise even. My second jobs have been cleaning offices at night and cashiering. While I have an MBA, I am not to proud to actually do a mundane job to generate some debt-reducing income.

Have a GREAT day!

No comments:

Post a Comment