Thursday, July 2, 2009

Frugality is NOT The F-Word

In the quest to become credit card debt-free, some (myself included) adopt a frugal lifestyle. They start to find ways to spend less money so that they free up money which can then be used to eliminate their debt. I know that my family has started to use strategies that allow us to enjoy life at a lower sticker price.

Case in point: this is the Fourth of July Holiday weekend (OK, it doesn’t really start until Friday, but who is counting). We have decided to camp at the timeshare/RV park that we got for a steal. Usually the level of membership that my wife managed to nab over the Internet sells for $21,000,but we managed to secure it for much, much less (less than 10% of the full price). We have reserved out spot for two weeks, which, if we had rented a small hotel room for $100 a night would have cost over $2,000. Instead, with the groceries, wood, and accessories, we will walk away with a mini vacation for less than $150. Not bad.

One other thing that we saved on was food. There is a small grocery store/meat market near our home (that is on the way to my day job) which always has an 8 oz. bacon-wrapped fillet for $4.99. I am a big guy and I could easily eat two of those myself, but if I take the time to eat, my wife and I do well just splitting one. (If you are doing the math, it is $4.99 vs. $14.97, a savings of $9.98). It is the little things like that which can save you money. Look for simple ways that you can save money that, in turn, can be used to more quickly get you out of credit card debt.

The sooner you are free, the better you will feel.

Have a GREAT day!

No comments:

Post a Comment