Thursday, March 12, 2009

The "B" Word, cont.

The "Budget" can be a formidable task for the uninitiated, but it needn't be. I used to live paycheck to paycheck (and in some respects, I still do), but since I have started to use a budget, I feel a lot more in charge of my financial situation. A lot of books on personal finance have been written, and I have read quite a few of them. Most of them advocate using a budget of some sort.

Now, don't be intimidated and think that you have to learn Excel skills or take a class in accounting. You can make it as simple or complex as you desire. I happen to have created a few workbooks in Excel and they suffice for my situation. I also stumbled across a great online source at mint.com and I have been very happy with that. It takes a little bit of time to set up, but now I have my banking, investment, 401K, and other information available at the click of a button. What they at mint.com do it once you have set up your accounts, it will be able to display in chart form what you spend, where you spend it, and ways for you to be able to save a little bit of money. Believe me, the little bits add up over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment