Sunday, March 15, 2009

Credit Card Debt Elimination, Part II

Getting Help

Even though I am confident that any person can learn to deal with the credit card debt that they have, sometimes you need a little help. A year ago when I sat down and actually figured out the amount of money I owed and my minimum payments at that current rate, I was shocked when I saw that the figure was over $72,000. You would think that I would have a fancy car to show for that, or some great clothes, or pictures of some fantastic world-wide trips that I took...no, I still drove a used car with over 90,000 miles on it (and I still do drive that same car), my clothes were, at best, clothes that came from a mid-tier department store. What I did have, was debt. I was overwhelmed, as I am sure many people are. The worse that my credit score got, the more depressed I became. Sure, I started to receive the tons of email about "We Can Eliminate Your Debt, Legally" and "Need Credit Card Debt Help? We Are There". Like an drowning man grasping for things to help him stay afloat in an instant, I poured through those e-mails hoping to find the instant cure for my problems.

Something to Look Out For

I finally settled on a company I felt that I could trust. Their website was seemingly legitimate, so I began to do a little more in-depth investigation. First I looked at their accreditations. Check. Then I looked at the Better Business Bureau website for any complaints against this company. Check. I "Googled" their name. Check. Everything seemed in order. I contacted them. I used them for about four months, but the more that I read in books, the more I became uneasy. First, they told me not to answer my phones or to talk to the credit card companies at all. They were going to handle it. I was to continue to make one monthly payment to them and they would set up a separate account through a third party from which the payments would be sent. They would take half of their fee out of the first four months payments ($2,800) and then they would put half of my payment into the third party account and when there was enough in there, they would negotiate with the credit card company. That was all good and well, but I didn't really appreciate the fact that after six months, I had paid $4,200, but my credit card debt reduction was not happening. By this time, I realized that they were going to be doing for me what I was perfectly capable of myself. Needless to say, that was an expensive lesson using money that I didn't really have in the first place. This will be continued. To learn more, click here or here.

No comments:

Post a Comment