Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Soda A Day...

I have had a soda habit since 1982. At first, it was a can or two in the evenings when I would sit down at my dorm desk to study. But as many habits do, it grew and it grew. No longer satisfied to grab a Diet Coke© from the dorm refridgerator, I would purchase one the local convenience store (located conveniently near campus). I would spend approximately $0.79. I have figured that in spending about $2.00 a day, if I would have invested that money instead, I would have saved $96,976.83. (I used the calculator here.). That's enough to pay for my son's complete college education. I have failed because I squandered a little here, a little there. Believe me when I tell you that it all adds up.



I haven't yet (but I am pretty darn close) to completely doing without. I now spend about $0.46 per day, which means I save about $10 per week. Using that same calculator, I now will be able to free up $32,761.3 over the next 20 years. Looking at that figure, it makes me want to go cold turkey and end up with close to $40,000. When we go out to eat (no more than once a week), we now get water to drink, thereby saving $4. Believe me when I tell you that it all adds up.



Tomorrow, let's begin discussion on ways you can save on food (and save a bundle over a lifetime). More at my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment