Tuesday, June 23, 2009

How To Save Money on a Birthday Party

After a while you learn to find ways that you can save on everything. Yesterday was my sister-in-law's birthday. She is developmentally disabled, but even at 39, her birthday is a very special day. She loves to go out to eat and she picked one of her favorite places to eat for her birthday. She had about ten of her friends from school and from her work at a sheltered workshop. They don't make a lot and so they didn't spend a lot on gifts, but that didn't matter to her. It was a very nice time and everybody enjoyed themselves and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Makes you wonder why one would spend hundreds, even thousands, on a birthday party for a child. My best birthdays were spent with family sharing a birthday cake (or pie, if you recall). I didn't need to eat at the best restaurant or have tons of the newest biggest toys that would be quickly forgotten or broken and discarded days later.

It is said that the best things in life are free. The cynic in me used to mutter, "yeah right", but that was back when I used credit cards and was quickly charging my way to a deep, deep debt problem: A problem I am dealing with to this day. I am confident that millions are out there now dealing with the same issue. You and I have seen a lot of changes going on because of the downturn in the economy. Just last week, I saw construction workers tearing down a fairly new BlockBuster store being dismantled. Brick and mortar stores are going by the wayside as people entertain themselves at home more and don't drive out to stores as much to rent movies, games, and things of the like.

You have to stay focused and save your own money and pay down the debt that you owe so that you can be free.

Have a GREAT day!

No comments:

Post a Comment