Monday, June 8, 2009

Say Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?

Every penny, every nickel, every dime can add up to help you in your quest to eliminate credit card debt. When you can save a few cents, put those few cents aside to pay off the credit card debt. Added up, over time, you realize that the money could have made a huge difference. Here is a case in point:

On the way to work (about a 25 mile commute) I pass by many gas stations. Three of them are gas stations that participate in the Upromise program in which it will deposit into my account, that is set up for my son, one cent ($0.01) for every gallon of gas purchased. I have had it for about seven years. It has added up to be over $50.00. It would have been more, but I didn't always purchase my gasoline there. Because I rarely carry cash, I had been passing off another gas station that give a $0.03 cent per gallon discount for cash. I definitely pass this gas station every day, so a point has been made to have $30 in cash around fill up time. That would add up to $588.00 over 20 years. If I could twenty things to save a few cents (3) on each week, in that same 20 years, I would have an extra $11,760.

That isn't chump change. Every little bit helps, don't let people kid you into thinking that it doesn't. One of the things that I learned while working for a major telecom as a consumer sales agent was to present a feature as costing just a few cents a day. The customer didn't realize that we were, in fact, milking hundreds of dollars a year from consumers. That's how companies do that and manage to stay viable.

Be vigilant, be thrifty, and have a GREAT day!

No comments:

Post a Comment