Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Your Tax Dollars At Work

A library is wonderful resource that too few people take advantage of. I was fortunate to grow up loving libraries. My grandmother was the librarian for her little town in North Central Arkansas since I was a little boy. Some of my fondest memories were spending a week with my mother's parents down at their farm. It was a wonderful experience for a young child because I would spend the days with my grandmother while she was working at the library and the evenings with my grandfather who was a carpenter and farmer.

Learning to read at an early age and having been read to gave me a great escape with a book. Libraries are, for the most part, paid for out of our local tax, but remain a storehouse of knowledge. For free. You wouldn't have to pay for a newspaper because you could always read the copy at the library. You didn't have to buy books to read them, you would check them out at the library and return them when you were finished.

Libraries today are more than a repository for books. There are audio books available. You can check out movies and videos. There is even free Internet access available at many libraries. You should check out the one in your local town. It is a great source of entertainment for children in the summer. Heck, you don't need to limit it to just a few months a year.

In your quest to eliminate costs from your life and eliminate your credit card debt you should be open to many of the low-cost and no-cost options out there that you might otherwise overlook.

Have a GREAT day!

No comments:

Post a Comment