Sunday, April 12, 2009

The Best Laid Plans

Eliminating your credit card debt takes a conscious effort. Not having a plan will result in you having less success of ever freeing yourself of clutches of high interest and outrageous fees and will take longer to pay off. The credit card companies plan on that. Why? Because they make more money from you and millions of othes. Why would they have your interests at heart? It's all about their bottom line. You are just merely one of millions of their customers. It is no wonder that credit card companies are so flush with cash.

You must have the long-term in mind. Resist the urge to satisfy your craving for a quick meal from the fast food restaurant (and charging it). How? Planning ahead. If you plan as much of your meals and expenses ahead of time, there will be less need to act impulsively. That's why I recommend using a service like mint.com. By using a debit card (one that has online access), they will track your spending and will display your results showing how much of your money is spent on various things. It has certainly helped me to curb some of those poor habits. Now, by planning ahead, I have meals that I can easily assemble and take for work, and where I would often stop by a fast food restaurant for breakfast on my commute to work, I have planned ahead, had an inexpensive meal at home and my coffee is at work (free) when I get there.

You can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment