Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Frugal Lifestyle

Sometimes, in your quest to live life without spending excessively, people may call you a cheapskate, a tightwad, or worse. Maybe I've developed a bit of tough skin over this, but it really doesn't matter anymoe. What's funny is that these values were embraced by those of different generations. Growing up, my parents were never rich in things, but were rich in values and friendships. The tried to pass these values down to their children. Being the prodigal son, I was not always willing to adopt the same values and lifestyles, but as I grow older, I realize that a lot that they were attempting to teach me were the right things. Looking back (while looking forward at the same time), here are some things that have been learned:

* If you truly want it, save for it - there is no better feeling than seeing something that you want and saving for it little by little. If you truly want it, you will still want it by the time that you have saved enough to pay for it. Instant gratification is nice, but things have a tenency not to mean as much if you see it, grab it, charge it, and pay for it for a long time.
* Don't spend too much for things you need - mom was a great budgeter and she always kept her eye open for a good value. She had a budget and stuck to it.
* Waste not, want not - items were purchased for a reason and waste was not an option
* Buy quality, not quantity - mom and dad were not "brand buyers". I was not brought up to "need" to wear Nike shoes or Levi's jeans. Mom always bought quality clothes that lasted and didn't look too bad.
* Save for a rainy day - As I get older, it makes more sense, because sometimes life has a way of happening: your car may need shocks and struts (especially if you purchase a used car), the plumbing may stop up (and you cannot fix it yourself), your glasses may get broken, or something may need to be done that you don't normally expect. I now have a savings account online that pays a decent rate and the money is accessible if I truly need it.

Be wise, or as Spock would say, "Live long and prosper." Visit my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment